I think we can all agree that life is always in flux. The “current” keeps…
With the holidays upon us, families will be in full-on gather mode to celebrate in the coming days leading up to New Years. Such gatherings offer an opportunity to have discussions as a family about estate planning. While estate planning is indeed a sensitive topic, we would like to offer some suggestions that may make it more comfortable to approach with your family members while they are all gathered together.
- Consider a relaxed setting for the discussion whether it be by a cozy fire or around the holiday table where your adult family members are comfortable and relaxed. Choose a time as well that does not interfere with family traditions.
- Approach the conversation with empathy and understanding. Some individual family members may have more difficulty with the topic, so allow their voices to be heard without judgement. Depending on your family, a little humor can help to introduce the topic, as you share your intent for protecting the family from having to make difficult decisions after you have passed.
- Plan some advance objectives that you would like to accomplish in these conversations. Discussing plans for making either financial and/or medical decisions for you if and when you become unable to make such decisions.
- Listen intently to the needs and wishes of your family members as they voice what is important to them in helping you carry out your desired plans.
- If it is helpful, we are happy to provide and Estate and Health Planning Survey to assist you in evaluating your needs and wishes in advance of such family discussions this holiday season.
- As you become more familiar with your family’s interests and roles each may be willing to play in executing your plan, consider contacting an estate law attorney to facilitate further conversations and plans.
Whatever your plans this holiday season. we at Norton Health Law, PC are wishing you and yours all the joy of the season and abundant blessings in the New Year!